Choosing the Right Psychology Research Topic
When writing a psychology research paper, you can choose the empirical approach, or choose to review existing literature on a topic. Empirical papers require you to use experiments and are accompanied by provable facts. Therefore, choosing a research topic is critical before writing any psychology paper. It sets the foundation for the kind of paper that you are intending to write. You want to avoid having a complex topic that requires analysis of large volumes of information or data. You should be specific about your research topic.
Categories of Psychology Research Topics
Here is a list of psychology research topics which are divided into categories and that you can use when writing your paper.
Developmental Psychology Research Topics
- The effect of bullying on mind development
- Do gender roles influence stereotypes in society?
- How does abuse affect children’s development?
- Are students who listen to music achieve better scores compared to those that do not?
- Do students who engage in extracurricular activities perform better or worse in exams?
- How does domestic abuse affect brain development in the victims?
- Do individuals with a high self-efficacy imply better memory compared to those with low self-efficacy?
- The role of violent video games on juvenile delinquency
- How does aging influence the development of behavior?
- What psychological factors are related to the process of aging?
Social Psychology Research Topics
- How does peer influence the behavior of teenagers?
- What are the social effects of bullying on both the bully and the victim?
- Does exposure to technology affect student integrity in the classroom?
- How do social roles define gender relations in the community?
- How does racism influence social relationships?
- What are the causes of gender discrimination in society?
- How does family social stability influence the growth of children?
- How do parenting styles influence the relationship between teenagers and their caregivers?
- What factors lead to the development of social anxiety and depression among teenagers?
- What factors promote bullying among students?
Cognitive Psychology Research Topics
- How does memory affect behavior?
- How does the subconscious affect an individual’s decision-making capacity?
- How can problem-solving skills be improved in children?
- How do learning disorders affect cognitive development in children?
- What are the different ways of promoting children’s cognitive abilities?
- How can creative thinking be harnessed to promote problem-solving skills among employees?
- What are the various interventions toward the effects of learning disorders?
- What is confirmation bias and how can it affect the formation of beliefs?
- How does the expectancy effect influence self-awareness?
- The effect of moral reasoning on cognitive development.
Forensic Psychology Research Topics
- What factors have led to the growth of home-grown terrorists?
- What are the effects of mass murders on society?
- The role of peer influence in juvenile delinquency.
- Does suicidal ideation occur most in inmates compared to the outside population?
- What measures should a forensic professional consider when assessing for a juvenile competency to stand trial?
- How can courts address the issue of insanity when considering the admissibility of evidence by a witness?
- Measures toward preventing the risk of suicide among inmates.
- What is the role of a forensic professional in child custody hearings?
- How does domestic violence affect men?
- How does the prison environment influence the behavior of inmates?
Abnormal Psychology Research Topics
- Factors leading to anorexia in teenagers.
- Exploring the development of eating disorders among women.
- What factors increase the rate of suicide among young adults?
- Relationship between psychology and suicidal ideation.
- The influence of personality attributes on behavior.
- How can individuals deal with phobias?
- What are the coping mechanisms for individuals with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)?
- The relationship between mood disorders and violent video games.
- How to manage anxiety and depression among veterans.
- Is lying a psychological disorder?
Clinical Psychology Research topics
- What are the barriers to mental health services?
- Understanding the side effects of antidepressants.
- What factors lead to PTSD?
- How do child-rearing practices lead to mental health issues?
- Does family instability lead to mental health disorders?
- What therapy practices reduce the effects of depression?
- Ways of treating insomnia.
- The effect of abuse on the psychological wellbeing of the victims.
- The psychological effect of bullying on the bully.
- Methods of managing and preventing suicidal ideation.
Organizational Psychology Research Topics
- How can workplace stress be managed?
- Ways of achieving work-life balance among employees.
- The effect of workplace relationships on employee motivation.
- How does globalization affect workplaces?
- Does access to technology (social networking sites, etc) lead to high or low performance among workers?
- How does workplace privacy affect the employer-employee relationship?
- Effect of leadership styles of followership behavior.
- How do rewards and gifts influence worker motivation and satisfaction?
- Does employee job autonomy lead to the deterioration or an increase in employee performance?
- Impact of management styles on employee behavior and attitude.